2019-04-27

A visit to Kvismaren Nature Reserve

 Click image to enlarge!
Birders on the Löten platform overlooking Rysjön


A few Greylag geese

 This place was always crowded with ducks. Now it is almost empty!

A group of cranes over head

 Snok! This snake has no venom. And it is very curious. It is my "spirit animal"

Fallow deer bucks resting.

© NF Photo 190420, Kvismaren

I and a friend visited Kvismaren a week ago. It was not fun! This place was crowded with birds when I first came here. But last year it was scarce and this time even less. There was more birders then birds :(  Most years at this, migration, time used to be thousands of geese, cranes and swans. Not to mention ducks. It is a sad thing to see what happens to nature and wildlife.

One part of this place, Öby kulle, is known for its snakes. Many people come here in spring to see them wake up and rest in the sun to get warmed up. There used to be two species but I only saw one of them. My favourite the Snok. This one is a swimmer and feeds mostly on fish.

On our way home we spotted a group of Fallow deer bucks. I was able to take a few shots through the car window.

This week we already had several forest fires in the south part of Sweden. That is not normal.  I am selfish and hope they will stay out of my neighborhood.


Linking up with the following memes. My thanks to the hosts:
Saturdays Critters

Follow me on Instagram:
NatureFootstep_Myworld
NatureFootstep_PhotoArt
NatureFootstep_travelsandbirds
NatureFootstep_birds

See the sidebar for the latest updates in my blogs.
Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,  

13 comments:

  1. Obviously a wonderful place to visit. It is always exciting to discover snakes emerging from their winter hibernacula.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    Wow, those snakes are cool. Great find. It is a shame the bird numbers are going down. Nice shots of the ducks, cranes in flight and the cute geese. The deer are cute critters. Great photos. Thanks for sharing your post with my critter party. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend. PS, thanks for leaving me a comment too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. Why do birds have rejected that area? Is the reason that there are too much people nowadays or is the number of the birds dropped so much?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a shame that bird numbers are down. It's happening all over the world sadly. The snakes were a good find though. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great different animal shots !
    Wonderful series .
    My Bird

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your spirit animal is a good one ... I’m not squeamish about snakes, but stay out of their way, in case they are venemous! I am sorry for the changes in bird migration that you are noticing. Do you think climate change is to blame?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope the bird numbers get to increase, as for the snake even though it's non poisonous I'd probably still run a mile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a shame that bird numbers are down.
    You shared some nice photographs though, thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there a temporary cause for the lower numbers of birds? Sorry that is was disappointing for you. I find it fascinating that people go to look for snakes … I don't mind them, but I am not sure that I would PURPOSELY look for them! Nice pictures all the same.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog,