2018-06-16

Birds this week

 Click image to enlarge!
Cormorant nesting colony. Lots of chicks there.

Great cormorant, adult leaving the nest

A blackheaded gull skims the surface with both beak and feet, Looks like it is walking or dancing.

And some of the new inhabitants. Young Coot chicks.
© NF Photo 180614-15

I have known about the Cormorant colonies but have not investing it much as it is a bit tricky to get there. But now I really wanted to see the actual nesting. The trees are on a small island out in the lake. I needed my 400 lens and an adapter x2, makes it 800m lens to get this image. I had to fasten it on the birding tower fence to be able to take shots. Camera is heavy and it was windy.
The cormorant flying was shot with the 400 mm lens.


The gulls was skimming the watersurface to find food and sometimes even used the feet.

To finish off  the coots are hatching. This is for you Anni, I think I remember you loved them last year. These are maybe 2 or 3 days old. I have some new images not yet uploaded. Will try to post some next week.

Linking up with the following memes. My thanks to the hosts:
Wild Bird Wedensday     Bird D´Pot

Follow me on Instagram:
NatureFootstep_Myworld
NatureFootstep_PhotoArt
NatureFootstep_travelsandbirds

See the sidebar for the latest updates in my blogs.
Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,  

7 comments:

  1. I've never seen that many nests in one tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! Each and every photo, this week. Yes, I adore the baby coots...

    Thanks so much for sharing this with us bird watchers this week! Your special efforts with a heavy camera on such a windy day produced GREAT photos. Always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, that is some nesting colony. Love the baby coots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That nesting colony is amazing. Thanks for explaining your technique for obtaining the shots - I always wonder "How did she do that?" And the coot babies … perhaps the first baby animal I have seen that is not cuter than the parents!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cormorant colony looks like it would be a good - if smelly - place to bird watch.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your young coots are precious! Great shots!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog,